[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jun 7 07:59:45 MDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 5:54 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Hasn't it already been determined fairly reasonably that soundboard
> rise, or fall, isn't a significant (there's that word again - not
> absolute or exclusive, even if measurable) factor in pitch change?

Hi Ron,
	If that has been determined fairly reasonably, I am not aware of it.
I, personally, think soundboard rise and fall are significant
factors. Otherwise, I fail to see why those little heating rods and
pads and whatnot, installed under boards in grands, have a measurable
(there's that word again) impact on pitch stability. But maybe you
know different. Maybe it isn't "rise and fall" but some other
dimensional change. I await enlightenment <G>.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu