[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jun 6 16:08:59 MDT 2007

It always struck me as very likely that any attempt to actually bend the
string around the bridge pin is bound to damage or weaken the bridge pin
hole to some small degree before the steel string actually does form a
real bend.  I am open to someone showing me how this is not the case
mind you... but wood crushes so to thee degree much more easily then
metal wire at tension will bend to the point of kinking around a bridge pin.

As to Don Manninos point about these kinks moving slightly not having
any impact on the stability... well thats sort of my point as well.  I
dont see the artificial bending as needed, and it strikes me more as
potentially destructive.  Heck.. I'm even real careful about leveling
strings at capos / agraffes.  I just am kind of a minimalist when it
comes to this kind of thing.

A light tap on the the string on the bridge surface with a wooden dowel
is as far as I go with any kind of string seating.

What I DO find interesting tho is just how much you can change and see
remains stable the tension of the back length without really changing
the speaking length pitch at all.  I love ETD's for looking at this kind
of thing.

Cheers
RicB

    My porpoise on doing most of these things is to have the string leave
    all the direction changing places as straight as possible.  The bridge
    pin places I do by GENTLY squeezing a couple of strings like so...
       \| |/
    "borrowing" a string from the next unison if necessary. I emphasize
    "gently". Naturally, you don't want to loosen bridge pins...