[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Wed Jun 6 06:58:32 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/6/07 2:01:21 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
ricb at pianostemmer.no writes:

I have  to agree with Ron N's statement about throwing away the string
stretcher.

Perhaps if I describe my string stretcher, it will make sense. It is a home
made fulcrum type. I believe I got the idea from Greg Hulme. It is  made
entirely out of pin block material, except the for at the  fulcrum, which is a
bolt.

A block of wood supports a long arm. On one end is a handle. On the other
end is a block of wood with the tip the width of three strings. I put the block
of wood on the keybed, and like a see saw, push down on the handle, which
brings  the tip up to the strings.

I don't use too much force, but enough to get resistance. The strings are
pushed up within two or three inches of the agraffs, but because of  the design,
I can only go up to about the middle of the 6th octave, or  where there is
not enough room between the belly and the plate. Pushing up on  the strings
would be like using a string puller to level  strings.

I have had good results with this thing. I've never broken a  string or an
agraff.

Wim