[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Jun 6 05:24:57 MDT 2007

Cauterized folks,

I gotsta disagree a bit with my friend Herr Brekne. It seems
counterintuitive to make a kink on a string that will later move across
a bearing point, and my recent experience might be anecdotal, but it
seemed to work for me.

I just had to do a string replacement the same day as a guest recital
for a music educator's conference we had here.

Monday morning, I got back to my room to find a post-it note saying
EMERGENCY!. Hamburg D had popped a string on G#6.  The left (tied)
string of loop and tie unison. Artist said he was practicing until noon,
so I said, "I'll be back". [Austrian accent, of course]

Went back at noon with pre-made loop in hand, installed and proceeded to
try to make it stable before 8PM recital.
-tucked German tie tail under other strings between hitchpin and
aliquot, after being sure that I'd made the coil in the right direction
to force the tail flat against the plate. (the other way would have had
the tail climbing the strut)
-made tuning coil tight
-pushed in becket
-seated hitch loop
-pulled up to pitch
-spaced strings
-pushed down on section between hitch and aliquot to have string come
off straight in both directions
-used needle nose to make similar adjustments to string on both sides of
the bridge
-pushed down on counterbearing section to form that kink
-pulled new string up to level unison
-pulled back to pitch
-pushed string sideways as it comes off tuning pin
-pulled string a little sharp (nothing scientific, just what seemed right)

Came back at 6PM and touched up what was then real close. Did not stay
for Chopin.

Went home.

Next morning, came in and checked. Just a fuzzy unison. Touched it up.
Two master classes on it yesterday.

I just checked this morning and found a very clean unison.

I guess I did something right... ;-}

Or did I forget a step?

Or have I committed a bad, bad sin?

Conrad