[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jun 6 05:38:50 MDT 2007

> Hi Ron,
>     I dunno. Those phrases "appreciable change in dimensions" and "no
> practical significance" might be loaded (along with "measurable
> proportions": who's measuring, and to what accuracy?).

"Measurable proportions" is a significant indicator.

>Could be "not
> significant in 99% of all applications, but there's enough creep to cause
> 100 cents of pitch drop in piano strings over the course of a year, and
> another 100 cents over the next 20."

What indication, measured by what and by whom, do you have
that creep is the cause of this, other than wood compaction,
as I've said, and coils settling, as Ed pointed out?

>Just the skeptic in me, and, possibly,
> years of experience. Of course, I could be wrong, and I could be
> misinterpreting my "years of experience."

I think you are, along with most everyone else. Most people
seem to think that music wire keeps stretching forever, but I
don't think that's the case. Do they go out every year and
tighten the cables of suspension bridges every year to pull
the roadway back up level? Anyone know?

>But it sure would be nice to tie
> down one of these people who write this kind of stuff and ask some very
> precise questions.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Been looking for real information for years, on a lot of
things like this.

Ron N