[CAUT] pre-stretching new string?

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 17:02:54 MDT 2007

In a message dated 6/5/07 2:29:29 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Cramer at brandonu.ca writes:

In last  month's discussion of wire stretch, someone mentioned pulling a new
string  a semitone sharp to take care of any future stretch along all  its
segments.

Is a 'semitone' overpull common practice for new  (plain-wire) strings?

Would you do this as part of a full re-stringing  as well, or is this just a
habit when trying to get a new single-string  replacement stable?

I've never done so, but can't see the harm with  fresh new wire. Anyone want
to educate me on the  subject?

thanks,
Mark Cramer
Brandon  University

Mark

When I put a new string on a piano, I over pull it one semitone. Then  I tune
the rest of the piano. Just before I leave, I drop the string to a couple  of
cents above the note, and tell the customer it will be sour for a few days,
and to call me when she thinks it needs to be tuned again. For a concert, I
would also pull it up, and let it sit there for as long as possible, then tune
it.

As far as restringing, what I've done is take the first note in the treble,
and chip it a half step high. Then aurally chip the whole piano. By the  time
the strings stretch and with the weight on the board, the first note  is
already a full step low. I then use a string stretcher to get as much of the
stretch out of the string. The first tuning I put on it is 25 cents  sharp, just
like a pitch raise. I treat each subsequent tuning, a day later, 2  days later 4
days later, and so on, as a pitch raise until the piano stays at  A440.

Wim