[CAUT] Steinway Style II questions

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Wed Jan 17 04:39:59 MST 2007

David writes:
<< ideally I'd like to hear from those who have had a good deal of
experience rebuilding these pianos, but I'd welcome any useful
observations.   >>

The lack of a plate above the block allows the block on this model to flex
up.  Look and see if the stretcher has already been warped upwards by the string
tension.  I had the factory rebuild one of these and within a year the
stretcher was hitting the bottom of the music desk and pulling out of the ends of
the case.
   If I were to do another one, I would try to find some way of putting some
steel in the front edge of the block to resist the upward bending.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT