[CAUT] Steinway Style II questions

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Wed Jan 17 03:52:56 MST 2007

Greetings -
Ideally I'd like to hear from those who have had a good deal of
experience rebuilding these pianos, but I'd welcome any useful
observations.  The particular type in question is an 85 note, 3/4
plate (exposed block, angled face), overstrung, agraffes to note 85,
originally rocker action converted to capstan.

Given that it is an exposed block, do you alter your target tuning
pin torque from what it would be in a full plate block?

What are the tonal limitations of the upper treble of this type (no
capo d'astro bar)?  How far could you / would you go to address these
limitations?  This would probably best be addressed to those who are
doing innovative installations.  Are there inherent limitations in
this design that would limit the effectiveness of these modifications?

Were these keyboards originally heavily weighted?  I've seen one
which starts with about 10 (ten) 7/16" leads in A0. On first glance
(un-disassembled) they look original.

Thanks

David Skolnik