[CAUT] 5 Pianos

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 18:18:51 MST 2007

Thanks for all the replies, public and private.

The following links contain a description of the audio recorder I used
to record the 5 pianos:
http://tinyurl.com/2hzedd
http://tinyurl.com/25242u

A very interesting thing is that each of the 5 pianos was named as
someone's favorite. I take this as evidence that variation in pianos
is essential. Different manufacturers should take different approaches
to piano sound -- and there is merit to Steinway's traditional
approach of letting different pianos coming out of their factories
having different characters. (I still hate it when a good pianist has
different requirements of a piano than the one in front of him can
give.)

Here are the 5 pianos:

1. Yamaha C7 voiced to within an inch of its life some years ago for
chamber music. This is a fine piano, with a great bass. It now lives
in a school lunch room, almost completely unappreciated.

2. Bosendorfer Imperial, just back from being rebuilt in Vienna. So
far, pianists love this piano, although I believe the treble is in
desperate need of proper voicing. There is little incentive to do the
voicing because pianists like it as is, so far.

3.  Steinway B recently completely rebuilt by Greg Hulme. The Renner
hammers are too bright for me, but the piano sounds good.

4.  2000 Steinway D. 700-seat hall. I absolutely love this piano.

5.  Steinway B with belly by Ron Nossaman; I did the action. The piano
is both clean- and full-sounding. (The same thing that Ric called
"thin" in the sound I would characterize positively as "transparent".)
The recordings of the 5 pianos reflect the real volume levels of the
pianos; I think that a close listen will reveal that Ron's piano has
the most sound; I also think Ron's piano still sounds good when the
playback is turned way up; listen close; this piano can bear some
scrutiny.  8^)

Here is a recording on Ron's B of Dave Brubeck's Greensleeves:

http://tinyurl.com/2obhxn

Thanks for listening.

Kent