[CAUT] 5 Pianos

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Dec 19 13:26:29 MST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 9:46 PM, Barbara Richmond wrote:

> Kent,
>
> Remind me why close miking seems to be the thing?   I never sit
> <in> a piano to listen to it and when I was trying to get recording
> of a piano I rebuilt, much preferred the sound with the mic outside
> the piano (by many feet)... Someone said, "But you'll have room
> noise."   Well, I do generally listen to pianos in a room, too.  :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara Richmond, RPT
> near Peoria, Illinois

Hi Barbara,
I'm not an expert, but have hobbied with it a bit.  To me, it depends
on what you are trying to achieve with the recording, and or the
repertoire being recorded.  Do you want a live or studio sound?  Are
you recording a soft, romantic ballad or a big, powerful work?  Also
depends on your equipment, especially the microphone, but also the
other processors involved.  You can get a lot of different effects
with different combinations.

I, personally, love to hear the nuances that can only be heard up
close.  Backing away covers up some unwanted piano noise, but loses
those up close nuances.  It just depends on what you're doing.

My thoughts,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina