[CAUT] mystery solved

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 16 08:44:49 MST 2007

> I noticed today on a Steinway B and a Yamaha C5 that the duplex is tuned about and octave above the pitch.
> So the shorter bear bars will change that relationship...right?   The design was they were supposed to be an octave higher?
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT

Truthfully, I don't really care where they are "supposed" to
be. They were cast into the plate in what I presume to be the
position in which they were intended, and they aren't
adjustable without grinding them off and substituting
something else, so what I think of their positioning is pretty
much a moot point when I can't change it. What I do care about
are the extraneous whistles and squawks they too often produce
to be called a feature. So given the owner's permission with a
rebuild, I shorten and effectively de-tune all the front
duplex segments, and all the duplex hassles magically go away.

Ron N