[CAUT] Wire Stretch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Apr 30 16:59:27 MDT 2007

> Hi Jeff,
> My intent, and I think Ron's, was that conforming to bearing points and
> wood crushing was possibly/likely the cause of much of that first, rapid
> pitch drop (after chip). I think elongation happens more over time,
> unless one does something to speed it along (like tune 100 cents sharp,
> or vigorously work the string). And even then, additional elongation
> will continue to take place to some extent. I certainly didn't intend to
> imply that elongation doesn't happen.

Actually, I think the initial pitch drop is mostly wire
elongation and conforming to bearing points, where long term
pitch drop is primarily wood crushing. I don't think long term
wire elongation is much of a factor at all, if any. I agree
it's ridiculous that information about wire elongation seems
to be such a valuable secret as to not be available. I'm
trying to chase down some believable (official, recognized,
sanctified) source of this information so we won't have to do
this every year (he raves).

Meanwhile, Ed Foote posted an observation five or six years
ago that a string replacement in an older piano is stable in a
month, while a new piano is unstable for a year or more. That
ain't strings stretching, folks.

I'll let you know if I find real pedigreed answers.

Ron N