[CAUT] Wire Stretch

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Apr 30 16:15:11 MDT 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 2:32 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> The idea was brought forth by Fred and Ron that the pitch drop that
> happens after new wire is installed has little to do with wire
> elongation or stretching, but due almost completely to wire bending
> to conform to bearing points and the crushing of the bridge cap.
> (My paraphrased understanding after having read it several times)

Hi Jeff,
	My intent, and I think Ron's, was that conforming to bearing points
and wood crushing was possibly/likely the cause of much of that
first, rapid pitch drop (after chip). I think elongation happens more
over time, unless one does something to speed it along (like tune 100
cents sharp, or vigorously work the string). And even then,
additional elongation will continue to take place to some extent. I
certainly didn't intend to imply that elongation doesn't happen.
	Like just about everything to do with pianos, there are a lot of
factors involved, always. Focusing on one and ignoring others is a
very common trap. And, of course, when writing about something we
tend to focus on just that one thing. We _could_ always add a
disclaimer "It's more complicated than that, actually" to everything
we say or write <G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico