[CAUT] Wire Stretch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 29 07:43:02 MDT 2007

> It seems to me that any change in the length of the string because of
> poor seating on the bridge or  deformation of the bridge surface, would
> be insignificant.  However, that said, I believe that a poorly seated
> string coupled to the a loose bridge pin actually lowers the pitch
> because it is as if the pulse traveling along the string suddenly thinks
> that the bridge pin is part of the string and thus a longer string length.
>

> Michael Wathen

Right, and since the string excursion is elliptical, a lower
pitch comes from the horizontal motion (from the flagpoling
pin), than comes from the vertical motion. Result - false
beat. Seating the string jams it into the notch edge enough,
sometimes, to stop the flagpoling, which temporarily clears up
the false beat.
Ron N