[CAUT] Wire Stretch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Apr 28 13:57:45 MDT 2007

> The ribs are shorter in the 20% of bridge length and the frequencies are
> much higher.
>
> I don't think of it as downbearing pressure but contact or
> coupling pressure.

I think of it as downbearing pressure, since the coupling
action and pressures are far greater from the bridge pin slant
and offset angle than they are from downbearing. A soundboard
assembly relying on panel compression for stiffness requires
enough downbearing to put the panel fiber at it's compression
limit to make it stiff enough to work well and produce the
desired tone. The downbearing schedule, or ranges, you can get
away with on any given assembly depends on the soundboard
design and scale tensions. With reasonable pin and offset
angles, the coupling is adequate in any case.

Ron N