[CAUT] Wire Stretch

Bob Hohf rhohf at centurytel.net
Sat Apr 28 06:18:37 MDT 2007

Why would you ever want to set the same downbearing force per unison when
the unisons are so unevenly distributed along the length of the bridges?
The top two sections of a typical concert grand contain 43% of the strings
on 20% of the total bridge length.  A smaller piano may have 46% of the
strings on 29% of the bridge.  Setting a uniform downbearing per string will
set up a tone-stifling imbalance in the downbearing force along the bridges.
For 20+ years I have been setting downbearing on the principle of uniform
force per unit of bridge length.  This produces much less force per string
in the high treble and much more in the tenor.  I don't measure angles.  In
Parts 5 & 6 of "Recapping Bridges" in the 1999 Journal, I present a
discussion of downbearing as force, not dimension, and describe a method of
setting a more uniform load distribution.  I'm sorry it's too involved to go
into detail here.  I know of one other rebuilder besides me who does
something along these lines.

Bob Hohf

  _____