[CAUT] Wire Stretch

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Apr 28 03:40:10 MDT 2007

Hi JD.

Have not read Junghans book no. But I have noticed that getting the same
amount of downbearing force on a long string vs a short string requires
quite a bit more string deflection and hence deflection angles. Most of
what I read here is that usual practice is to have very little
downbearing angles in the lower areas of the scale, and more in the
treble. Which goes in the opposite direction of evening out downbearing
force.

I have designed no scales as of yet... well one sort of... and am
admitedly new to the whole field of scale design and am of course as a
result very unsure of design principles.

Cheers
RicB

    At 12:10 am +0100 28/4/07, RicB wrote:

     >Course the problem with this notion is that equal tension by no
    means...

     >Try figureing a scale to do this !... what do I know ... perhaps its
     >easier then I imagine

    I am surprised you have not read the book, which is one of the few
    classics available. Have you not read Junghans in 'Der Piano- und
    FlŸgelbau' either, which details a scale on very similar principles
    to Wolfenden's; not that several makers were not already following
    these principles -- there was nothing new about it in 1916 -- and
    most still do. In fact an 1865 Kirkman I am currently working on
    might almost have been the model for such a scale.

    What scales have you designed and what principles did you follow?

    JD