[CAUT] Getting the plate out

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Thu Apr 26 07:57:55 MDT 2007

Phil

A plate weight in the neighborhood of around 500 pounds. It would seem
to me that the Hambro beams would be strong enough to support that
much weight, especially if it is distributed over three beams.

In St. Louis, I had to construct something in my shop. I had a similar
rope hoist as you did. There were no beams I could use. I attached two
4x4 against opposite walls, and a 4 x 4 across the top. An upside down
U, with the top beam against the ceiling, which was 8' high. The walls
are about 10 feet apart. I did the same thing about 10 feet away. Then
I hung a steel beam between the two ceiling 4 x 4', on which the rope
hoist would slide.

I don't know if this system would work in your shop, but it's an idea.
But, again, I think the Hasbro beams shoudl support a plate.

Wim

Quoting Phil Bondi <phil at philbondi.com>:

> Hi all.
>
> Before I spend any money on this, I want to get your
> thoughts on this subject..
>
> In my old shop, I had/have a rope hoist:
>
> http://secure.data-comm.com/DC/Detail.bok?no=84925
>
> I had it fabricated in the old shop because I had no real
> overhead structure to hang it from. It worked perfectly.
>
> In my new shop, I am getting conflicting answers about
> hanging that hoist. The structure is supported by the
> Hambro System. A picture can be seen at:
>
> http://www.hambro.ws/
>
> What you're seeing from that picture is what I see when I
> look up at the ceiling in my shop. Those steel beams are
> approx. 5' apart and run the length of the house.
>
> The person who use to own this house is a salesperson for
> Hambro. He was unsure about hanging the rope hoist and
> using it for my purpose. He suggested I talk to one of
> their structural engineers, which I did. He was unsure if
> the hoist would cause any compromise to the Hambro System.
>
> Here's my thought on the subject:
>
> I want to run a piece of steel across 3 of the beams so the
> Rope Hoist will roll. That way it will have added stability
> from using 3 beams for support as opposed to one. The only
> time weight would be on that hoist is when it was actually
> in use. Other than that, it would be hanging.
>
> Before I go out and purchase a cherry picker, I would like
> to hear the thoughts from those who have some experience
> with this subject..suggestions for an alternative plate
> removal system, etc.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts.
>
> -Phil Bondi(Fl)

Willem Blees, RPT