[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Apr 24 17:01:25 MDT 2007

Hi Jim

I know the arguments surrounding all the approaches to the capo pretty
well by now.  As far as the V vs U thingy is concerned.  Of course their
are no absolutes in our world :)... but there most definitely are
profiles that are far more V like then U like.  Mine are very much V
like.  The reason, as given by McMorrow, is that as they wear they do
not become rounded. The grooves that form are very much different then
those that form in a thin and very rounded U shape, and yeild different
results as far as terminating the string.    Again, I advise getting
ahold of McMorrows book and reading his perspectives. I find them
sound.  A very slight buffing of an edge does not really constitute a
curvature... at least not enough of one for me to start thinking in
terms of radius's and the  like. I file (with a flat metal file) sharply
off the edges of the capo until I get a 0.5 mm wide <<surface area>>...
which I then insure the surface area is flat by filing it so. The amount
of surface depth this eventually removes on capos where this procedure
is appropriate is not a matter of concern.  On instruments with very
hard capos, and with counterbearing angles and front lengths that
prohibit the << thin and sharp>> approach... I generally go for as thin
as I think I can get away with... 1 + mm with a rounded off edge towards
the front length and a rather sharp edge towards the speaking length.  I
just feel its important for as precise as possible determination of the
speaking length termination.  Ron Overs, thin and hard profile with
appropriately designed front lengths and counterbearing angles seems to
be reasoned on similar grounds... tho I am sure he will pop in if I am
mislead here.

In the end tho... to be sure. All roads do sooner or later lead to
Rome... but perhaps we are speaking of a different Rome ?  :)  I quoted
McMorrow a few years back on Pianotech where I wrote down some of his
stuff from his book.  If I get some time in the next few days I'll see
if I can dig it up.  His book is well worth reading IMHO.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    I couldn't conjure up anything from the archives on the Spurlock tool,
    but then I'm fairly inept at computer things...

    I think Fred addressed capo dressing a few years back in his very
    thorough manner. As I remember here is the gist of it; the v bar can't
    be too sharp because it will wear/fracture too fast and soon be rounded
    anyway, but now with string grooves. He also referred to a .5mm contact
    point and that stuck with me. However, Ted hit the nail on the head by
    using the word "curvature". Now if there is curvature there must be a
    radius, arc, diameter, etc. or at least someway to quantify the curve.
    Ted's method of referring to a drill bit size/radius works for me.
    Maybe your V looks sharp but is actually the same as I see as a radius
    at the very point. (Maybe all roads lead to Rome.) Or, maybe if you see
    my redressed capo you'd say it's a V. It looks like a V, but it actually
    isn't sharp. In fact, just the rounding of my flesh as I sand it rounds
    it over to a small radius. The fret file just seems to make everything
    more uniform and is very fast.

    Regards,

    Jim Busby