[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 23 20:51:36 MDT 2007

Thanks, Alan and Jim for pointing this out. I think we are getting confused
with figures. Or with the radius when we mean the curvature. Of course, the
radius is one half of the diameter. I think I was careful to say the radius
produced by a rod of 2.5mm dia. If not, I apologize. But have we looked at a
1mm diameter profile? It may well be that this might be a desirable
termination, but has anybody ever seen this in a piano? I certainly have
not, in a career spanning 69 years, and having re-strung over 200 pianos.
1mm. dia. is exactly the same as a #60 twist drill, barely more than one
half of the diameter of a #6 bridge pin, and identical to gauge 17.5 Roslau
wire. From a manufacturing point of view point of view I believe the gains
would be minimal, if at all, and the difficulties considerable. I agree with
Ric that the removable capo bar is a good idea, as were many other 19th.
century features. I also think that many were abandoned before they reached
their potential. With modern production methods and materials it might be
worthwhile to take another look Piano design is in somewhat of a rut in my
opinion, and the work being done does not amount to much more than tinkering
with what we have. Now, as for buzzing strings, one of the most difficult
experiences I ever had was at an important concert I tuned for many years
ago at the Stratford (Ontario) Festival. The piano was a rented C and A
Steinway D, and was chosen by the artist's agent three weeks beforehand. It
had about twenty buzzing strings in the tenor, one or two per unison. With
forty-five minutes to tune, which was often the case there, desparate
measures were called for. What I did was to pry each buzzing string up with
a screwdriver and saw the pitch up and down to wear the agraffe hole smooth.
Fortunately it worked, but was not an experience I care to repeat.

Regards to all, Ted Sambell---- Original Message -----