[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Apr 23 11:40:29 MDT 2007

Alan,

Spurlock used to sell a fret file and I spoke to him about the radius. I
can't remember the exact size but the Stewart MacDonald guitar parts has
a medium/large fret file which works out perfectly and is like what
Spurlock used to sell.

www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Shaping_and_crowning/2/Diamond_Fr
et_Files.html

They sell several types and grits but the courser grit seems to work
well followed with sanding. 2.5mm seems close to what it is. The company
couldn't tell me what the radius is. Don't get the cheaper metal file,
(trust me...) get the diamond one. 3 minutes or so with the fret file
then graduated passes with sandpaper to a buffed finish. When you can
run your fingernail down it w/o noticeable friction (i.e. smooth like
glass) you have the proper radius and surface. 15 - 20 minutes.

Regards,
Jim Busby