[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Apr 19 11:08:37 MDT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> What happened to the concept we've been preached to that wire
> fatigue is the primary cause of broken strings?  Is that now not
> the case?
>
> Would a harder capo not contribute to wearing through the wire as
> it "saws across the capo" moreso than a soft capo would?
>
> Jeff
Hi Jeff,
	I don't get your question. You seem to be saying two opposite
things. Wire fatigue is caused by bending and re-bending at a single
point, not wearing out from abrasion. If abrasion causes string
breakage, then a harder capo might contribute. Abrasion is not wire
fatigue. But if it is flexing at the bearing point that causes
breakage, then hardness doesn't enter into it. Flexing does cause
wire fatigue.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico