[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Apr 19 01:00:06 MDT 2007

It is a matter of all these things, including hardness. Really, this
kind of goes without saying.  A soft sharp profile will wear and groove,
and it will do so in a way that works out nicely over time.  A rounded
soft profile on the other hand will buzz like crazy with wear.  Dig out
McMorrows book for some good perspectives on it.

Fred,  there is friction at the bridge pin from something... this is
obvious because of the pins getting damaged over time. If the metal of
the pin was significantly harder then the string... these same moments
would still be at work and the wear and tear would be transfered to the
string material.

I mean... why would we have any use for super hard abrasives like
diamond files or any such thing unless the basic idea that harder vs
softer results in softer loosing ?

Cheers
RicB

    On 4/17/07 8:36 PM, "Keith Roberts" <keithspiano at gmail.com> wrote:

     > Hi Fred, strings breaking at the capo bar I think it would be a
    matter of
     > bearing length, the sharper profile capo bar having less bearing
    length and
     > the softer capo bar developing a  longer bearing surface no
    matter what the
     > profile. All the pressure and force of a FFF blow concentrated
    over a shorter
     > bearing surface and segment of wire has far more potential to
    break a string.

     > Keith Roberts

    Yep, I agree. Sharpness of profile plus angle of deflection. I don¹t
    think
    hardness enters into it, unless somebody can show me how. I don¹t
    see how
    softer metal would make a sharp profile with a high angle less apt
    to string
    breakage. Maybe it does, but I don¹t understand how.
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico