[CAUT] More on Single String Beats - PNWC

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Wed Apr 18 14:50:00 MDT 2007

Hi Ron,

Great class in Salt Lake City! Best rebuilding class ever. To those who
couldn't attend, this class really needs to come to the National
convention and/or other conventions.

Jim Busby

(Ron, Below, #47 in my list of possible innovations/changes for my
rebuilds...)

Bridge agraffes have been discussed long and often on
Pianotech for years, and a lot of us think they are a good
idea. While I seriously doubt they are or ever will be as
cheap to produce as conventional notching and pinning
(agraffes need to be positioned and secured, requiring
materials and labor beyond the cost of just producing the
agraffe), they do present a more secure and climate tolerant
alternative to conventional pinning in solid hardwood caps.
They also provide considerable added mass over conventional
pinning, which is the primary reason for that increased
sustain everyone mentions. Until such things become available
for rebuilders, some of us are realizing benefits in that
direction with laminated bridge caps and mass loading bridges.

Ron N