[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 08:20:30 MDT 2007

Now this is why I think Wim was having probs with a newlyrestrungD. If you
don't tune the back scale or make sure the strings render when stringing
then as Ron just said the string render at random times. Maybe a year or two
or three later.

On another list about backscale tuning, I remarked that I just try to smooth
out the sound and tension of the back scale and asked whether it would be
better to raise the raise the pitch of the backscale or lower it in
comparison to the front scale. I got no answers. From what Ron says here, I
think taking the hammer shank and making sure the backscale pulled up to
tension+ in the stringing process is essential. Then as the wire stretches,
the backscale won't render through after tunings. Since the rendering does
this randomly with humidity swings and applying the principle of "going
halfway there never gets you there" even if you are already halfway there,
logically it must mean the tuning stability sucks.

Keith Roberts