[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Apr 17 19:37:11 MDT 2007

>     I accept Ron Nossaman's analysis: bridge expansion and contraction
> pushing the string up and down the bridge pin are the main factors in bridge
> pin wear. Considerably more friction (between pin and string) is involved in
> this motion than in strings being drawn through/past the pins in tuning. I
> also accept the notion that there is simply too much friction at the bridge
> for wire to slip past both pins and bridge top except when there is a very
> large change in pitch (in the 100 cent range), based on experience,
> experimentation, and the experiments and analysis of others.

Hi Fred,
Consider that if the string can be moved up and down the pin
by cap dimensional changes, the friction between string and
pin is overcome in small increments to allow it. As the string
moves up or down the pin, the differing segment tensions will
take advantage of the momentary friction respite, and the
string will also render across the bridge somewhat. This
happens at odd intervals as long as the cap thickness is
changing, which is most of the time. Nothing ever stands still
as long as there are changes in temperature and humidity, so
nothing ever quite reaches equilibrium.

Ron N