[CAUT] Fwd: [Experts] Glenn Gould pino adjustment

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Mon Apr 9 18:34:53 MDT 2007

Yes, Steinway uprights from the 1860s to the mid-1880s have a significant
plate/string plane cant also.

Bill Shull
La Sierra University

In a message dated 4/9/2007 4:37:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, fssturm at unm.edu
writes:

On 4/9/07 11:01 AM, "Susan Kline" <skline at peak.org> wrote:

> At 05:13 AM 4/9/2007, you wrote:
>> described efforts to design an upright with a forward leaning string
>> plane which would accomplish this.  I don't know if it has been
>> employed elsewhere, either before or since.
>
> I believe I saw something along this line in an old George Steck upright.
>
> Susan Kline

Actually, I've seen it on several uprights of the 1880s and 90s. Steck,
Chickering, I'm pretty sure Knabe and Steinway as well. A very definite cant
to the plate and string plane. I love uprights of that era - full of careful
attention to all sorts of details.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico