[CAUT] Legs

Douglas Wood dew2 at u.washington.edu
Sun Apr 8 12:37:17 MDT 2007

We currently have one Steinway D with each type of caster on stage at
Meany Hall (the large performance hall). That is, the older piano has
a (new) set of the Darnell heavy-duty casters, and the newer piano
has a set of Hamburg-style legs and casters purchased from Steinway
with the instrument last summer. Interestingly, noone has, so far,
indicated a strong preference for one over the other.

Understand that the stage has almost nothing in the way of
discontinuity. Smooth maple, well-maintained pockets, etc. The only
threshold is very small, metal, with beveled edge. And the pianos
rarely go over it. Any facility with significant thresholds or
carpets to go over would probably strongly prefer large wheels
(Hamburg-style or truck).

The Darnell casters are actually easier for small moves, or slightly
changing the angle or placement of the piano. The big brass casters
roll easily enough that once moving the piano could go off the edge...

Do note that the Steinway keybed (both NY and Hamburg) is flexible
enough that the touch and balance rail glide settings will change
with wheel position. If you go to the large caster, the wheel center
is far enough from the stem center to flex the keybed!! So you buy
into ALWAYS setting the wheels directly in front or directly behind
the legs!!!!!

It is also a good idea to have two locking casters, and use the locks
as appropriate.

The short legs for the new piano came separate (we have both sets
here) from the piano, and without hardware installed. It was a bit of
sweaty work to drill for socket and locking plate screws. And one
must fit the locking plate properly. (!!) A couple of hours, I guess,
by the time I was all done.

All in all, a bit expensive and time-consuming. And still there is no
agreement on preference, so I have not gone back to the original
legs. If y'all would like, I can post to the stage hands for recent
feedback.

The D that is in our small performance space just came off a
Schroeder truck and back onto Darnell casters. This was mostly to
lower the keyboard and pedals--we'd had complaints. But it turns out
that the casters were sufficiently worn to not roll well. And it also
seems that almost noone was paying attention to the caster locks. And
so moving the piano with one or both on...

Do note that the Darnell casters will age, and beyond a certain age
will be much more difficult to manage. You can replace them from
Steinway for under $200, and from PianoTek for under $100, I believe.

But all in all they are very nice casters and they keep it all simple.

Doug Wood, RPT

University of Washington School of Music