[CAUT] restrung D

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Fri Apr 6 08:11:20 MDT 2007

In the p[ast 3 years I have restrung two D's that have a tuning
stability problem. (original block). I've restrung other D's, but I
don't see those pianos any more.

One of them is in our Chorus room. I tune that piano once a week, and
everytime there are at least a dozen or so strings that are off more
than they should be. I haven't kept track of exactly which strings are
off, but I don't think they are always the same ones. I've tappend,
and set and pounded, but some strings still go out.

The other D is in a large church, which I restrung it last year.
Again, there are individual strings that go out. At first I attributed
the problem with the way it is being played, and that there is an air
vent up in the ceiling that blows directly on the piano. The problem
has gotten so bad that they took that piano out of the sanctuary and
are now using a 6' Yamaha. (the sanctuary seats about 3000.)

So my question to those of you who have restrung more than 2 D's is,
is there anything you do different stringing a D than you do when
string a smaller grand? I have strung litterally hundreds of pianos,
but I've never had a problem like this. Any suggestions will be
appreciated.

Thanks

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT