[CAUT] Experiment Success - second thought

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 6 06:55:33 MDT 2007

Another issue should be mentioned.
Steam or softening solutions can cause the hammer felt to split if
1) The hammer has been heavily needled, especially down through the strike point or with glover's needles
2) The hammer felt has been flattened and pounded between the wooden moulding and the strike point so that fibres are breaking (think of worn high treble hammers)
So it is always good to start with a light test of your intended method, then look carefully to see all is going well.
Ed S.