[CAUT] caut Digest, Vol 1090, Issue 3

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Sep 20 10:43:28 MDT 2006

Hi Paul

Seems only reasonable that an extraordinary project/expense be dealt
with from an extraordinary budget post.  While I understand Wim's
concern about getting involved in the shall we say politics of school
fundings I have to disagree with his conclusion.  I recommend quite the
opposite that you take initiatives and get directly involved.  Doing so
however implies taking on responsibilities and requires a certain degree
of sensitivity to how that game is played.  No good busting in and
telling the director to buy a few less Big Red helmets if you get my
meaning.

I find myself in the position of being heavily relied on for all piano
related questions at the UiB.  I think a large part of why has been that
I have been very careful to advise in directions that are as inclusive
of as many concerns as is possible while at the same time weighing short
term and long term priorities for my superiors.  I simply provide them
with pertainant information in as factual and dispassionate manner as
possible.  Its important IMHO that university gets piano technical
advice on such matters and that its the piano technician who delivers it.

It may take some time in some university situations to build that kind
of reliance on the resident pianotech. But its worth the investment in
time and effort IYAM

Cheers
RicB