[CAUT] caut Digest, Vol 1090, Issue 3

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Tue Sep 19 13:01:05 MDT 2006

Quoting Jim Busby <jim_busby at byu.edu>:

> Right on Chris! Wim, you absolutely need to get a budget - some kind
> of
> budget, then once your foot is in the door push to increase it. Use
> other institutions as examples (without whining).
>
> Jim Busby BYU

Believe me, I've tried. I had a meeting with the department chair this
summer, and he promised I would get one. But so far, nothing. I've
made a list of repairs that need to be done right now. I've made a
list of all the pianos with their current values, and replacement
costs. He was impressed. But still no budget.

I keep the pianos going using my own tools, equipment and supplies.
Once in a while I can buy some small parts that a desperately needed.
But for the most parts, I have to made do with what I can, using my
own supplies.

There is some hope, in that the state is having a banner year in tax
collections. Maybe it will loosen up some money for the music
department. But there are so many needs at this university, that the
chances of getting anything for pianos is very slim.

So I just keep plugging away, and in 5 years I'll retire, and let the
next guy worry about it.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician