[CAUT] caut Digest, Vol 1090, Issue 3

Rick.Florence at asu.edu Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Mon Sep 18 19:46:49 MDT 2006

Wim, I don't think I would choose to marginalize my position with the
Director/Chair.  If we wish to be the respected professional whose opinions are
valued, then we need to play the part, not run away from the opportunity.  It is
true that the decision may not be ours to make, but we SHOULD be called upon for
our expertise in ALL keyboard matters and be available with an educated
recommendation.

Paul, gather up your information, present a few possible alternatives, recommend
the one you feel is best, and ask the Director in which direction (s)he wishes
to proceed.  This may be a good time to put together a capital purchase proposal
as well.  The keyboard faculty will be your strongest ally, or your worst enemy.
 Use this opportunity to push for a win-win situation for both camps
(piano/fortepiano) and you'll begin to build a rewarding working relationship
with your colleagues.

If we fail to participate and act proactively in these types of situations we
will simply be the "tuner" who is easily replaced and underappreciated, both
personally and financially.

Carpe diem!

Rick

Rick Florence
Senior Piano Technician
Arizona State University, School of Music