[CAUT] arbor press

Alan Crane alan.crane at wichita.edu
Tue Sep 5 13:07:46 MDT 2006

At 12:52 PM 9/5/06, Ken Zahringer wrote:

>They don't exist.  You have to make your own.
>
>Stanwood uses a benchtop drill press.

On the contrary, they do indeed exist (and are currently on sale) in
the Micro-Mark catalog (p. 39 in the current Sale issue).
I remember using just such a press to remove keyleads in Stanwood's
shop a few years ago.
As I recall, though, the installation & swedging of the new keyleads
was done on a small drill press.
The Micro-Mark company sells some interesting and useful tools not
readily found elsewhere, including the Micro-Lux line of miniature
power tools (we used the Micro-Lux belt sander in Stanwood's shop to
trim the excess epoxy after filling keylead holes in keys).

Here is the link on the Micro-Mark site for the mini arbor press
mentioned above:
(you can get to the rest of their web site from here too)

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=60627

Its worth mentioning that Stanwood uses a thoughtfully designed
vacuum setup (with an HEPA filter) on his lead removal jig.
The keyleads we're removing are not new and most have begun to
oxidize (the white powdery coating).  This oxide very readily becomes
airborne when disturbed and is easily inhaled and absorbed through
the skin where it tends to do less than friendly things to the
central nervous system (and it doesn't go away very quickly
either).  Do yourself a favor and take approprite precautions when
working with keyleads ___________ especially those that aren't brand new.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,

Alan B. Crane,  RPT