[CAUT] hammer softener

Greg Granoff gjg2 at humboldt.edu
Tue Oct 31 15:14:27 MST 2006

Thanks Alan,
I share your sentiments mostly about this procedure.  I too am long time
user of needles and elbow grease, and have also had only mixed results with
steam (though when it works, it *does* work--I'll give it that). But
recently I had a Hamilton vertical in the shop that had gone so bright and
hard despite only minor hammer wear and fairly agressive voicing in the past
that it made my ears bleed.  I happened upon a jar of unused Pianotek hammer
softener I'd forgotten was around, and thought "why not?"  I put it on
carefully in a thin layer at the 11 and 1 position of the shoulders,
allowing it to soak up just under the crown, and got excellent results.  I
don't know how long this will last under fire, but it was so easy I couldn't
believe it.  Despite being needled, the hammers didn't open up, though I
have seen that unpleasant effect from steaming.  I figure I might need to do
this again, hence the questions about formulas.

Greg