[CAUT] hammer softener

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Oct 31 11:47:35 MST 2006

Hi Greg,

I've used straight isopropyl with mixed results. Also used different mixes
of methanol and water. Had one Walter piano where the methanol/water
solution simply did not penetrate at all. Rolled off the hammer felt like
water off a duck. I've also used steam also with mixed results. If these
hammers have been previously needled, watch out. Water (liquid or hot vapor)
can induce in the technician full-scale, sweaty panic as the hammer opens
up. Not a swell feeling, I can tell you.  (Grin, only in hindsight)

These days I only use needles and lots and lots of elbow grease. I charge
for it. I just don't feel like I have control over the alcohol/water or
steam.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University