[CAUT] pin tightness

William Schneider schnei78 at msu.edu
Tue Oct 31 14:52:52 MST 2006

Hi Wim

If the pin is really too loose to hold, continuous heavy blows to the key
would likely make the pitch go down, down, down. You can try putting a
tuning hammer on the pin and flicking the pin flatwise (not too hard) with
the back of the hand during the test, just to be sure. If it stabilizes not
too far from the correct pitch you may have another problem.

Other problems may include a hammer shank wobble, causing the string in
question not to get a good test blow during tuning even though spacing seems
ok (this applies usually to strings on outsides of unisons). If the string
has rendering issues you may have to use much harder test blows to stabilize
it during tuning than you might think. A little ProTek on the agraffe or
capo may alleviate rendering problems just enough to get stability.

There certainly are such things as loose tuning pins, but, in my experience,
pins that aren't absolutely obviously loose will hold given well aligned and
firmly pinned hammer shanks and an enthusiastic tuning technique.

By the way, I am of the hard-test-blow persuasion (advisedly, I think) for
all tuning.

Bill Schneider