[CAUT] tight balancier

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Tue Oct 31 14:04:42 MST 2006

At the NCRC this past weekend, someone mentioned that a tight
balancier will cause a hammer to bobble. My question is, does anyone
have a gram resistance measurement for this?

I'm trying to visualize it. If the balancier is tight, then the spring
will need to be tight, which could cause the hammer to bobble. But it
is too loose, the spring would need to be loose, which could cause it
not to hold the hammer.

I have several pianos with bobbling hammers, especially in the 2nd and
3rd octave. Before doing anything, I want to know what to do.

Thanks for the input

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician