[CAUT] Plea for accurate subject lines, was Re: caut archives?

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Tue Oct 31 09:29:57 MST 2006

Hi all,

Regarding searching: Does the search function search only subject headers,
or does the search also include body text?

If the search is only subject line, then it is very important that everyone
be thoughtful when it comes to subject line words. There is a lot of great
information in these conversations, but it can be virtually lost when the
subject line doesn't reflect the real content of the conversation. As in
"OK, Brainiacs..." While that is funny, it effectively buries the
conversation. I have been searching through the CAUT and Pianotech archives
a lot recently and it is terribly difficult to ferret out relevant
information. Kind of like reading a novel with the pertinent 10% paragraphs
randomly scattered throughout other interesting, but irrelevant (to the
current search), material.

Actually even if the search function searches body text too, it is still
important for the subject line to reflect the underlying conversation. Try
going through the archives by thread. Very time consuming! Pick a topic,
say, soundboard design. Have fun! I can tell you that our search
capabilities are not as effective as the ag machinery that separates the
wheat from the chaff.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could somehow really separate the conversations
into discrete wholes? What a resource that would be, and I'd have less need
for cognitive maalox (aka Alaskan Amber)!

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy at mail.ewu.edu