[CAUT] harpsichord quilling

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Oct 27 21:53:10 MDT 2006

Amen to Alan's remark. They come in different types of steel, different
types of sharpening style, and different shapes - same basic angle, but many
don't actually come to a fine point, having a kind of back cut from the
point to a place along the unsharpened edge. The sharpening style means some
bite into the delrin faster/smoother than others, and you can get a finer
shaving easier. Types of steel impact how long they stay sharp, and how easy
they are to sharpen/strop/hone (sometimes impossible, practically speaking).
    I finally found some I really liked, got a box of 100, and thought I was
set for life. Then my tool box they were in was stolen, and I'd of course
forgotten brand and source (many years having passed). I do like the ones I
got recently from Hubbard, which have a shape that does come to a sharp
point - good for getting really close to the tongue. Of course, Hubbard
charges a premium as a re-seller.
    BTW, they are for a #3 handle. There are a couple pretty standard handle
sizes out there.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico