[CAUT] Okay brainiacs..

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Oct 27 21:04:28 MDT 2006

I don't know that there is a standard measurement.  The underlevers should
align slightly right so that when you engage the una corda pedal they don't
shift onto the adjacent key.  The capstans should be centered but you might
check to see whether the wippen flanges are moved to one side in order to
achieve that alignment. Unfortunately, on a Steinway, you don't have much
wiggle room on the hammer flanges because of the design of the hammer rail,
but you do have some.  Be sure that the hammers are 90 degrees to the
strings at let-off and that any misalignment is not due to the hammers
leaning to one side.

You will have to find some compromise that allows everything to align
functionally.  If the underlevers are correct and you are able to move the
hammer alignment then I would go with that.  If you need to move the cleat
in order to achieve functional hammer alignment then look to see if you can
shift the underlevers by changing the thickness of the felt punching that
usually sits between the pivot pin and the block.  You will then have to
adjust the wippen alignment which you can usually do with the amount of play
for the screw in the flange.  No simple method here, you will have to assess
each requirement and predetermine what a move will mean before you undertake
any major changes.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com