[CAUT] Harpsichord Register work and keydip

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:30:26 MDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Anne Acker wrote:

> Barbara,
>
> I was told you were making inquiries about all this over on this
> list so I hopped over
> You know you have my direct email.  Don't be shy!
> Anyway,  an experienced professional harpsichord builder and
> technician works considerably faster than the quotes I've seen.
> I can do a 3 register double manual instrument in 8 hrs.
> I generally allow 2-3 hrs. per register.   2 usually does it.
Hi Anne,
	Thanks for joining us, even if only temporarily. It is good to get
the perspective of someone who is actually a professional, as opposed
to those of us for whom it is a part time (very part time, maybe 5%
tops in my case, in a good year).

	I wonder if you might be willing to answer a few other questions on
the subject of harpsichord voicing?

1) Black versus white delrin material, any comments on the
differences, preference?

2) Plectrum profile side view: Do you prefer
a) even taper from tongue to tip, coming to an almost point?
b) a more gradual taper that stays thicker than the above up to a
wedge cut at the end?
c) a fairly parallel profile from close to the tongue to the wedge
cut? (the wedge cut being for return passage to under the string)

3) Plectrum top view: Do you prefer
a) Triangle, coming to an almost point?
b) Fairly parallel starting as close as convenient to the tongue with
a quick angle inward, then parallel to the tip?
c) Somewhere between those two, tapered, but not to a point?

4) Plectrum cross section: Do you prefer
a) rectangular, square sides, flat bottom?
b) rhomboid, flat bottom, sides tapered inward?
c) triangular, sides angled in coming to a point or nearly so?

Any comments on how these variations affect touch and tone would be
most appreciated. And, obviously, any alternatives to what I
presented are welcome.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico