[CAUT] Duplex

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Oct 26 09:59:10 MDT 2006

Hi Eric

I was about to post this myself in response to David Porritts post.  Now
to be on the fair side I know David Porritt has one of Nossamans
re-designed Steinways under his care, and I understand it is a very fine
instrument in its own right.... without the Steinway duplex. There are
lots of very fine instruments without the Steinway front duplex.  That
however does not change the fact that there are many fine pianos that
employ it as well.

Cheers
RicB

    I don't have any scientific knowledge to impart either but if you put
    your finger on the front duplex of D5 (or little wedges of felt as some
    people insert) you end up with a dull, lifeless sound. If you put your
    finger in front of the agraffe on C#5 (non speaking side) you will
    notice a less pronounced but similar effect even though the un-muted
    non-speaking length of the string is quite short there.

    Eric

    Eric Wolfley, RPT
    Head Piano Technician
    Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music