[CAUT] Duplex

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Oct 26 15:10:22 MDT 2006

> OK, I'll take your word for it.  I guess the next question is, who cares?
> Inharmonicity in this section a few points to this side or that side doesn't
> really seem like anything of any significance when compared with stability
> (resistance to wear) and propensity for leakage (buzzing).
>

> David Love

I agree. Whether the capo shape is sharp or rounded is of
little practical consequence to either inharmonicity, or
energy transmission across the capo. While the sharper profile
may be less prone to front duplex noise in poorly designed
systems, it isn't all that important in systems with short
front duplexes. Energy still passes across the capo with the
rocking motion either way. The short front duplex just doesn't
let it make unwanted noises in the process. Go to any piano
with a capo and front duplex. Long, short, tuned, or not, it
doesn't matter. Hold up the damper for a given unison, pluck
the duplex segment and listen. What do you hear? With a very
long tuned duplex, you might hear some of the tone the duplex
is producing. For the most part, you'll hear the fundamental
of the speaking length of that unison because the rocking of
the string on the capo has started the speaking length
vibrating. Try it on a vertical piano with the shortest
segment you can find between the V mound and the pressure bar,
and you'll hear the fundamental of the speaking length.

I'm not sure it's even possible to entirely prevent energy
transmission across a capo without a clamp, however large the
radius may be in an actual functional instrument, but the
primary determinant of duplex noises (attributed to capo shape
or not) is the combination of long duplex and low bearing
angle. As long as that combination exists, capo and duplex
noises will always be a potential problem no matter what you
do to the capo.

But that's just my opinion from personal experience of
actually trying it, and shouldn't interfere with anyone else's
belief to the contrary.

Ron N