[CAUT] Harpsichord Register work and keydip

Anne Acker a.acker at comcast.net
Thu Oct 26 08:44:56 MDT 2006

Barbara,

I was told you were making inquiries about all this over on this list so I hopped over

You know you have my direct email.  Don't be shy!

Anyway,  an experienced professional harpsichord builder and technician works considerably faster than the quotes I've seen.

I can do a 3 register double manual instrument in 8 hrs.

I generally allow 2-3 hrs. per register.   2 usually does it.

All that said, my total price for jobs such as this has remained consistent.    You need to adjust your hourly rate according to your experience so the total job price comes out fairly.   It isn't right to charge for your learning curve, but then you know that.

As to your keydip issue and the noise...yes, first the trimming where you notice the interference.

Then, is the keydip controlled by the backrail (usual) or the jackrail (also common)?

In harpsichords keydip is rarely if ever controlled by keyfront punchings, quite unlike pianos.

Anne