[CAUT] Duplex

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Oct 26 08:20:51 MDT 2006

I don't have any scientific knowledge to impart either but if you put
your finger on the front duplex of D5 (or little wedges of felt as some
people insert) you end up with a dull, lifeless sound. If you put your
finger in front of the agraffe on C#5 (non speaking side) you will
notice a less pronounced but similar effect even though the un-muted
non-speaking length of the string is quite short there.

Eric

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Porritt, David
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 9:22 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Duplex

I haven't weighed in on this one yet as I don't have any scientific
information to impart.  One observation, however, is that if the front
duplex did as much enhancing as is touted we'd have this break between
C#5 and D5 where the duplex ends.  C#5 would be the dull, lifeless sound
of no front duplex and D5 would be the glorious sound of a note with the
duplex.  (Of course the exact placement of this break varies on
different models.)  While I do notice the occasional zing or whistle, I
don't notice the enhancement that is advertised.

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu