[CAUT] Duplex scales

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 24 15:22:31 MDT 2006

It was probably this statement that prompted my remark.

"Strikes me that it is also quite clear that the market has made its
statement on the matter quite clear.  I believe that companies like Yamaha,
Steinway that employ the duplex system do so very consciously and know
exactly what and why they are doing."  Ric B

You are right about bad science.  It does abound.  One of my favorite books
that speaks to this is "It's a Demon Haunted World" by Carl Sagan.  Worth
checking out.  Not about pianos but the point is worth taking.  My approach
lately has been to simply question many basic assumptions.  I think it's a
healthy approach.  Of course, not all are rejected, nor should they be, but
some are suspect and often empirical evidence (read trial and error) is the
best we have to go on.  Many decisions are made that way including some by
your own TW guru David Stanwood (whose many ideas I embrace btw).  Many
choices about what sounds better, voicing techniques, type of spruce, rib
materials (the list goes on and on) are made without the benefit of hard
scientific data.  If we'd waited for hard science in order to justify our
next step we'd still be twiddling on doodlesacks.

Cheers.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com