[CAUT] New Building Specs

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Oct 24 09:22:45 MDT 2006

Willem,

My shop is nearly identical to yours and two pianos is crowded, but
doable.  Improvements I would make  is more bench space.  If funding was
ample, I would increase nice level work spaces, electrical outlets and
storage drawers under the benches.  My main bench is a large slab of and
old bowling alley with room for two actions.  It has a very crude
home-made drawer under it that is fairly useless. I have only been here 3
months, but am already fustrated by the lack of storage for parts,
dollies, and the like.  I have 3.5 metal cabinets, but they are pretty
cluttered.  Perhaps this summer, I should re-organize it so to be more
functional.   The former tech did install a divise chained to the ceiling
for hoisting up plates, but it is not moveable, so the piano can only be
in one place to use it and it is right in the middle of the room.  I would
like to modify it so it can "slide" side to side 10 feet or so.  A
built-in air compressor with multi-area hose plug-in would also be nice as
well as a central vacuum system.

Also, their is no freight elevator in the building and the elevator we
have can only hold a Steinway B.  So rebuilding D's can't be done in the
shop!!!  Now that's fustrating and expensive!!!!!!!!!

Ken, keep these things in mind as well.

Best,

Paul T. Williams RPT
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
pwilliams4 at unl.edu

Willem Blees <wblees at bama.ua.edu>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
10/24/2006 09:22 AM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [CAUT] New Building Specs

Ken

My shop is 19 x 27, a little 500 square feet. Although I don't do any
rebuilding, because they don't give me any money, I could do two
pianos at a time in here. (Right now I have three octaves of
handbells set up). One corner of the room is also my office. One thing
I wish I did have is a seperate room, so that dust and dirt don't get
all over my desk and computer. So if they are willing to give you a
600 square foot room, maybe you could take one corner of it for a 10 x
10 office.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician