[CAUT] Baldwin SD-10

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Oct 23 21:24:01 MDT 2006

Long, low angled duplexes are more likely to lose energy (leak and make
noise) than short, low angled duplexes.  That's pretty demonstrable.  Noisy
duplexes (where there is leakage) have demonstrably less power and sustain
than non leaking duplexes.  That's also very demonstrable and seems like
pretty simple stuff.  There seems to be an optimum combination of length and
angle that reduces leakage and doesn't cause excess drag or wear on the capo
bar.  Fandrich has quantified this in some previous writings, I believe.
Added mass in the capo bar always seems to help with loss of energy.
Minimizing loss of energy appears to help with both power and sustain.  I
think it would be a march of folly to try and create a counterbearing
situation that optimizes the amount of leakage in the hope of having some
reflected back to the speaking length.  I suppose that's personal opinion
though I like to think of it as common sense.

As far as the Grotrian goes, my only comment is that it's hard to isolate
variables.  When a complete rebuild is done, it's not always possible to
tell whether the change in tone is due to a change in some particular item
or whether it comes from some combined effect from several changes.  My
experience (anecdotal evidence of course) from having changed many Steinway
counterbearing areas and left most other things alone (except for new
strings, bridge renotching, and capo shaping) is that there is no noticeable
change in the character of the tone, however there is a noticeable change in
the clarity, power, sustain and propensity for leakage.  That might be heard
as a change in tonal character but I don't consider it one.  Rather, it
seems more like a mechanical optimization of what's already there; tonal
changes, in this case, being limited to changes in soundboard response.
Whether or not my "perceptions" constitute absolute proof in pure scientific
terms, I'd have to say they don't and could be construed as a simple matter
of opinion.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com