[CAUT] Baldwin SD-10

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Oct 22 18:36:25 MDT 2006

Jim  writes:

<< So, what are the solutions for a sizzling front duplex?  There are a few
that will work:  <snip>The trick is to put those duplex
string sections OFF resonance with the partials of the speaking lengths
without muting them.  I'm told that Scott Jones' "PitchLock" clips will
sometimes do the job, but I have not tried them myself.  I have my own
method, but it's still under development, so I'm not recommending it just
now. >>

Greetings,
    I wrote at length some time ago about using a stringing hook to put a
kink in overly excited and resonant top strings.  This often will effectively
de-tune them, ameliorating the sizzle or metallic noise.  Another thought is that
the hammers were not nearly as hard when the duplex was first developed.  I
know that with softer hammers, many capo noises stop being a problem.  The
Baldwin sizzle on those earlier capo inserts is the most resistant instance I can
think of.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT